The leading cause of death for tiller pilots is moisture intrusion in the rain. In the UK they are common on eBay, but not here.
A few days ago I had to take a 4-hour rainy sail to move my boat between marinas for service. After three years (Total Boat Krypton) the bottom needed anti-fouling paint, and Herrington Harbor North has decided that hauling trimarans scares them, so they won't do it anymore.
So when the rain started, I pulled out the cover I had made from a scrap of clear vinyl snipped from an old dodger. No sewing was required. I just folded it, somthing like wrapping a box, and popped a rivet in each of the corners. The bottom is open for ventilation. The tiller pilot stays bone dry, since it produces a small amount of heat in service, sufficient to prevent condensation and evaporate any stray drops.
You can see the buttons and use them right through the vinyl. Very easy.
You can read the details here: https://www.practical-sailor.com/marine-electronics/no-sew-diy-tiller-pilot-cover/

No comments:
Post a Comment