Thursday, January 14, 2016

Exposed Wiring

This exposed solenoid always bothered me. Non-AYBC compliant, non-USCG compliant, and a short looking to happen, the backside of this anchor windlass breaker has high-amperage exposed terminals.


I fabricated this simple cover from 0.09-inch FRP (the same materials I used for the window covers. Cut by score-and -snap, trim with disk sander, fillet corners with Epoxy + colloidal silica, finish with orbital sander and paint. In stead of screws (holes would show), attach with 3M Dual Lock.


 The finished product looks factory. I think I will be using a lot of Dual Lock during the AC installation.



I fabricated a 

3 comments:

  1. I've not used DualLock because I feared that with time, the adhesive would prove weaker than the velcro... especially for things like overhead panels. Have you found this to be true?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question. In this case there is minimal weight, so no problem and it is holding strong. I was just in that locker, banging around , a month ago, installing AC.

    As an experiment I hung a bag with 12 pounds of iron weights in it from 2 x 1-inch squares of dual lock. One side was bonded to gelcoat and one side to cured polyurethane caulk. After about 2 months the gel coat side pealed.

    3M suggests 0.25 pounds per square inch of dual lock for long-term stress. I think that is a VERY conservative rating. I would NOT suggest individual pads larger than 1 square inch or you may break something separating it.

    I'm thinking overheads are a great application, just keep the load below 1 PSI, preferable 0.25 psi. If the surface may not have good adhsive compatibility (wood...) coat it with polyurethane first.

    ReplyDelete