- Window covers. We made a full set of Sunbrella covers for all of the fixed windows, in part to protect the plastic and in part to help with the AC load. While the cabin roof is well insulated, the windows pour in the BTUs. The covers were dead simple; we replaced every other screw with a male snap.
- Inventory. We always carry double of so many things. I'll be visiting the boat a week ahead of time and will put together a list. On our earlier trips, those with just Jessica and myself, I had far less help but planning was more linear; a simple one-person list process. Now I have to "manage" and "organize". I hate that.
- Shear pins for the 3.5 hp Merc outboard. It seem the new ones have aluminum props and take stainless pins. So I went to the local full-service hardware for some 5/32-inch brass rod and now have a 5 year supply of pins for the price of one. (5/32" x 1"--the Mercury web site states that they can be either brass or stainless with the resin prop, but that stainless gives less protection)
- Some new rub pads for the tender, cut from and old pair of waders. 3M 5200 is some cursed, messy, slow drying stuff, but it has some serious staying power.
- Cabin roof flat screen mount. Not my prettiest work, but I built a bracket that allows the flat screen to pivot up to the roof, out of the way, without disconnecting the wires.
- Route planning. Always, there are a few places and inlets that I include primarily as book research. My family only requires that we call in Tangeir, Cape May, and Chincoteague.
Sunday, August 8, 2010
Just a Wee Three Week Cruise, but a Aways a Few More Preparations...
and a few minor up-grades. I will post the details of the more successful projects and a trip report in about a month.