Friday, November 11, 2022

No Wet Sanding

 Given the rules, my aversion to scraping, and the health risks associated with every stripper I've see (either methylene chloride, NMP, or high pH) I'm not a fan to start with.

 So the project before my next bottom job will be to pick out a new vacuum sander. I have a DeWalt 1/4-sheet sander that I use with a HEPA vacuum and a Dust Deputy. The vacuum part works find, and the sander was inexpensive and has been very durable. I don't feel cheated, not at all. But removal rates are slow and it is not random orbit (leaves swirls).

The other motivation is that I did some paint testing for Practical Sailor, including 6 types on my boat. All of the copper paints are doing well, but two of the non-copper paints really suck, so there will be some serious sanding involved. 

What are the criteria? 

  • Speed of removal.
  • Appearance and swirls. Within the random orbit class, this is more related to the grit and use than the sander.
  • Vibration. Includes ergonomic shape and padding.
  • Dust collection.
  • Weight. Overhead, it adds up.
  • Price. But the older I get that matters less, as I have learned the value or quality tools.
  • Durability (all of the candidate brands should outlive most DIYs
  • Usability. Includes nimbleness and one-hand operation.
  • Size. Still undecided. If the hull is curved, larger does not put that much more sanding surface on the hull.

 So who's in the running?

  • DeWalt. The RO 5-inch is faster than what I have and only $65.
  • Bosch. The dual mode GET75-6 is expensive but leading the wish list. Supposed to be very fast, but it's near $300. But time saved from sanding bottom paint counts triple on your life score.
  • Porter Cable. They have a 6-inch RO for $160 that is well regarded.
  • Fein. They also make an anti-fouling sanding "fleece" that may fit others.
  • Festool. Had to put it on the list. About double the Bosch for the same size.


No comments:

Post a Comment