Monday, May 17, 2021

Waterproof Socks

 I began testing waterproof socks for Practical Sailor over a years ago. My F-24 has an open transom, waves sloshing through are a common thing in a blow, and they are a life saver in the winter.

More recently I went to the beach in a kayak to collect beach plastic (upcoming article), and because of an unusually low tide, found myself wading ashore from as much as 100 yards out. The water was still unpleasantly cool (55F) and I left my wet suit shoes at home.

 


 But I was wearing my waterproof socks (in this case a winter version by Randy Sun). Nice and warm. You can feel that you put your foot in the water, but I wouldn't call it cold. A little squishy, maybe, but dry.

I really like being able to sail all year in deck shoes. No more sea boots for me.

They don't breath as well, so I won't be wearing them in the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment