Monday, April 15, 2024

Broken Boat Hook = Outboard Tiller Extention

The first time I tried this trick it was on a Nissan 18 hp on my Stiletto 27. This time for a Merc 3.5 on my tender. And it's made from something every body has or can find leaning next to the dumpster. A broken boat hook.

The raw material was a Garelick pole that was intentionally destroyed during destructive testing for a magazine article. The only tool was a hack saw. Pretty basic.

The tiller extension did NOT cause that scratch. Just a weird coincidence. I like to have it just long enough that I can reach it behind my back if sitting on the seat facing forward. If it came up beside me it would limit my ability to turn.

Although technically "rod holders," more often these PVC tubes are used to keep other things, like paddles and this extension, out from under foot. 

The nice thing about free is not just that it saves money. A few months ago I dropped the prior extension (also from a salvaged boat hook) overboard; knowing it cost nothing made it less stressful. I just had to wait to a fractured pole to show up at my doorstep.

No comments:

Post a Comment