Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Anchor Lights Get Smaller

Once upon a time anchor lights took a huge bite out of your battery overnight. Some drew as much as 25 watts, costing you as much as 20 aH by morning, or nearly the entire usable capacity of a group 24 battery. The also burned out every 1000-2000 hours, requiring frequent trips up the mast to keep them burning. LEDs promised as much as 100 times less draw and lamp life up to 50,000 hours, but the the first generation didn't always deliver.


 On the left, the home-built masterpiece a PO installed. The engineering was pretty, but heavy and ultimately failed. On the right, the replacement Tecniq M10. It is tiny, draws less power, is USCG certified, and weighs less than 1/2 ounce. (both are 2.5-inch in diameter, both light through the same vertical angle)

They came from a cottage industry, some nearly works of art and others crude affairs. Some nav lights were the wrong colors. They didn't always shine through the correct angle. Some interfered with VHF, a particular problem with anchor lights, being located right next to the antenna. None were USCG approved.


I don't mind the heights, but the up and down trips for the stuff you forgot are annoying. In this case, I needed two odd size screws from the hardware store. I remembered everything else.

I'm keeping the old one on my bookshelf, like a little lighthouse. But I'm happier the Tecniq is at the masthead.

2 comments:

  1. I replaced the bulbs in my anchor light with LED bulbs, not so much for the power savings, but to avoid climbing the mast so frequently. I like the new anchor lights, but it baffles me why they are not offered in an anchor/steaming light configuration... all it would take is separately wiring some of the LEDS...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I replaced my masthead with a Davis, oh, 10-12 years ago. Although the low wattage incandescent bulb was adequate and didn't draw too much power, it also wasn't extremely bright. I replaced the two years ago with an all-round LED. Now it draws even less power, and is extraordinarily bright.

    ReplyDelete