Thursday, March 17, 2016

Cheston Creek off the West River

(that's up near Annapolis on the Chesapeake Bay for you non-locals)

I needed and over-night get away, the prevailing winds suggested the western shore north of Deale, and I always search out places I haven't been before.

I anchored in 8 feet of water just a short distance inside the mouth. I'm not too certain how much deeper I could have gone, but there was a fish trap just a few hundred yards farther in, so it seemed pointless. Holding is solid, but it is exposed to the south and east.


There is a nice sand spit sort of beach just inside the mouth, probably off limits but certainly inviting for a few moments walk.

A nice thin about Spring and Fall sailing is the clarity of the water. Not island clear, but enough to see 6 feet easily.



The creek is a wildlife management area, shared between the Smithsonian and local farmers and is well screened with trees. I bobbed mindlessly by one downed tree, watching a ground hog busy himself preparing a burrow for a littler to come. A hundred yards further down the creek s red fox was doing the same sort of sring house keeping.


Definitely worth a follow-up visit this summer.


2 comments:

  1. Cool. I'll have to look it up. Doesn't sound too far from Rockhold Creek.

    ReplyDelete
  2. About 10 miles as sailed, I guess. I sailed up in the morning (a light wind drifter), kayaked for a while, sailed back (hard on the weather at 8 knots in 15-20 knots true), and worked on some stuff. Not far.

    ReplyDelete