Thursday, August 8, 2024

High Lifelines

6-4-20216, rev. 8-8-2024

Standard lifelines are only slightly above the knee; helpful, perhaps, but not reassuring. For example, reaching over the side to add a sheet to a sail clew can be a little unnerving.

While researching jacklines materials I came a cross a lot of references to high lifelines, rigged to the shrouds. I poo-pooed the idea for years, but now that I have actually tried, it, I think I was wrong, at least for this boat. Yes, they are in the way just a bit, but they make going around the side without a jackline that much safer, they make it safer with a long tether, and they make it better when rough or for those with balance problems.

I used a length of old Kevlar genoa sheet (you want something non-stretch). I investigated all manner of fancy shroud attachments, but a clove knot worked best, with a little tape under it to prevent sliding. Attach it to the lifeline in such a way that the tension is carried by the lifeline, not the stanchion (it looks like I tied the forward end to a stanchion, but there is actually an eye for a gate). The aft end is tensioned with a lashing to another gate terminus.

Reaching out feels casual with a lifeline at your waist.That water is only 45F. Falling in under spinnaker, even on a calm day like this, could be life threatening. Note that I am also clipped to a short tether.

The high line makes a good handline that doesn't stress the stanchions.



No comments:

Post a Comment